Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Working. Backwards

It was time for me to leave the academic world and once and for all face and understand what others were seeing outside this comfortable home. Nope, I wasn't a professor or anything. I had a non-teaching position where I was given a chance to train student leaders of our school. Cool. Idealistic and then I was there. I had fun and was still so immature! My peer group was starting to share their corporate adventures and mis adventures while I can not offer anything but listen to their colorful stories.
Then one day I was out. I jumped and was optimistic given that I had a La Sallian education and I was exactly a fresh graduate. Internet recruitment at that time isn't a fad yet. I bought Manila Bulletin every Sunday, asked for referral and then did some walk-in application. Since I wasn't using email yet I had to wait for letters of interview or acceptance. I was positive that I would land a job in no time. After a month, two, three, four...... the enthusiam was starting to go down. I looked into my expensive pair of shoes ( i didnt know it was expensive) was starting to quit. It has holes on it soles. I've been around Makati, up and down the buildings. Then Pasig, Manila, even Southern Manila.... Negative. Either I didn't like the job or I wasn't fit. And being in the Academe for two years was not that advantageous for me.
Fund was low. Morale was low. Shoulders dropped. Restless night. I was already hesitant to ask money from my parents and yet I still had no job.Tough life. I found comfort in visiting the chapel at the end of the day. In there, I just rest and share my stories to God. I guess it was one of those moments that made me closer to God. I did. That was my consolation.
One day, I got a job offer from an Insurance Company. I was invited to report the following week. I still had an interview with another company and I went for it. My interview was with the Sales Director right away and I was applying for Sales Training. He asked something simple from me. He said, "Marvin, sell that condiminium to me" Whoa!!! I didnt have any experience in selling but I tried. Then he said, what I did was so bookish. I lack the emotion and I do not seem to believe in what I was saying. Oh no................. I don't need another lecture. He said something actually that changed my self perception. He said, he saw something in me. I have the potential and everything but I have to show it. There is no way, agents will buy my words if I myself do not believe in it. Thank you. (I actually met this guy in another company). Basta, because of him I started believing in myself. Slowly. I never had the chance to talk to him once again (after maybe two years).
I accepted the sales job in the insurance company because I said I wanted to experience what it is like to be one. Again, I persevered. I tried all the tricks I read and heard from others. I was able to sign some policies and I had the chance to sign with a very big one. I was focused to close that one even if it meant going to some unknown places which were very far from my office. Maybe I spent a month with them. I gave my best. I did so many things in that company. After six months though I wasn't accepted as a full time sales agent but they had a different plan for me. Oh no. I can't believe that I might lose another job. I didnt want to be there again (I failed to listen to the next part of the sentence).
An insurance client actually was impressed with me so she asked me if I wanted to join her team. Since I didn't get that my previous company had another plan for me I left them and joined this new company. The decision wasn't well accepted by everybody because they said that even non college graduates can get a job like that. I cant share to them that I actually prayed for it. Even I had a difficulty comprehending why I should accept the jon which was not really different from my previous one. Just different industry. But the Lord said yes, join them. I did.
In here, I met another mentor who taught me so much about dealing with clients and making proposal. I was able to close some accounts and I still struggled since it was still not easy. But I started getting the hang of it. Sales is not just about the people you know but everything boils down to perseverance, hard work and cultivating relationships. My Boss then was so happy about me that when he left which surprised me completely created confusion and a little bit anxiety. Not now. Of course there was nothing I could do.
Until maybe after a month, he called me and asked me for a meeting. When we met, he just asked me how I was doing and everything then out of the blue he said if I want to join him in his new job as a Sales Director of a new internet company. I prayed and then joined him.
In Worldroom.com, I met the best boss I ever had in my life until now. My Ninang, Tina Di Cicco. She of course like the others taught me about the work but most of all she said so many good things about me and for the first time I wasn't scared of myself. I mean, the wounds inflicted to me from so many emotional clashes with people close and not close to me were really devasting. I walked for years carrying these wounds. Then here she came. She didn't point out the wounds to me nor looked into my weakness but she treated me with dignity and looked into the person I have seen for quite awhile. She believed. I guess that was the difference. I was able to smile again and slowly regained my self esteem. It is really different if you meet someone (Mentor type) who will feed you with positive things and yeah really believes in you. She did. After a year, I dont know but I felt confident that when it was time for me to be interviewed here in SMART I was ready.
After two years with Tina, I was able to join SMART where I am working right now. This is a dream job come true. You know, the scope is international and being able to travel the world and meet people. I am still learning and really am looking for another mentor who can help me to move further. It is still open. I am sure the Lord will send another Angel to help me here.

1 comment:

tin-tin said...

iba talaga pag ang boss mo nagsasabi ng positive things about you :)

Polo: Different Moods

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Come. Celebrate life with us. Let's worship God!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting