Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eleazar

" At our age, it would be unbecoming to make such pretense;many young people would think that the ninety year old Eleazar had gone over an alien religion. Should I thus pretend for the sake of a brief moment of life, they would led astray by me, while I would bring shame and dishonor on my old age. Efen if, for the time being, I avoid the punsihment of men, I shall never, whether alive or dead escape the hands of the Almight. Thereforem by manfully giving up my lifenow, I will prove myself worthy of my old age, and I will leave to the young a noble example of how to die willingly and generously for the revered and holy laws."
from 2Mc 6:18-31

Amazing how Eleazar hold on to his principles even if it would mean his life. Amazing as well that his sentenced was carried out even at his age. Two principles colliding. Can I do the same? Literally, it is something I can not answer. To die over principle. Wow. He died not because of pride because 1. He wants to be a good example to the youth. 2. Because of his love to God. It is easy to say that I will die for Jesus but will I ever have a chance to be confronted by such an agonizing and terrible situation. I am living in a country where we can tolerate any religous belief. I guess I do face lighter situations.... I admit that I fail at guarding my love for Jesus in small things. How will I be entrusted with more then? Whether I do it or not, Jesus remains the same. He still loves me dearly. He still blesses me. He he still with me. Hirap hirap hirap. All I can say Jesus, you are still in my heart and mind. I may not be as mature as I should be in my relationship with you but I want to remain with you. I know my dearest friend that you have stood by me. I acknowledge your presence and sometimes I admit that I deny it.

Eleazar, the first time I read his story. It made me think and be inspired. He died a long long long time ago (BC) and yet his reason why he chose to die is something that is admirable until now. I know you are in heaven for a job well done. I hope that in my life time, I will be able to meet a man like you. Someone I can emulate and be like one someday. To do my best for my God.

No comments:

Polo: Different Moods

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Come. Celebrate life with us. Let's worship God!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting